Effective January 1, 2020, the general Florida sales tax due on commercial leases will be reduced from the current 5.7% rate to 5.5%. This reduction in sales tax is applicable only to rental payments that are for a lease period that is on or after January 1, 2020. Therefore, the 5.7% sales tax will still apply for a rental payment that is received after January 1, 2020, if the lease period for the rental payment is before January 1, 2020. It is estimated that this reduction in sales tax will generate $64.5 million in annual savings. Please note this change has no effect on the local option surtax that many Florida counties impose (1% surtax is imposed in Manatee County and Sarasota County for 2020, making the total sales tax due on commercial leases in Manatee and Sarasota counties for 2020, 6.5%).
- VIDEO: Tax Provisions in Coronavirus Relief Bill
- Are You Keeping Workers on Payroll? A New Law May Extend Your COVID Tax Credit
- Buying or Selling a Business with a PPP Loan or an Economic Injury Disaster Loan
- Employee-Related Revisions to CARES Act
- Blalock Walters Sponsors ArtCenter Manatee International Watercolor Society Exhibit