Mark P. Barnebey
Land Use Law | Local Government Law | Real Estate Law
Mark Barnebey has practiced in land use and local government law for the past thirty (30) years. He has successfully represented clients regarding a wide variety of development projects including multiuse projects, an arena, and a power plant. He served as the senior land use attorney for Manatee County for 13 years and as School Board Attorney or special counsel for another 12 years. He currently serves as City Attorney for the City of Palmetto, and counsel for several special districts and agencies. He is Board Certified in City, County and Local Government Law. Among his lecture presentations, he participated in all nineteen (19) certification review courses and in the first Florida Bar live simulcast seminar, speaking on the topic of quasi-judicial proceedings. He received the Paul S. Buchman Award for outstanding contributions to local government law from the City, County and Local Government Law Section and was awarded the George W. Simons, Jr. Award by the Florida Planning and Zoning Association for contributions to planning and land use for the State of Florida. He received the 2011 Community Service Award from the Manatee County Bar Association for his record of service to the community.
- AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Ralph A. Marsciano Award from the City, County, Local Government Section, The Florida Bar (2012)
- Outstanding Community Service Leader, Manatee County Bar Association (2011)
- George W. Simons, Jr. Award for Outstanding Contributions to Planning and Zoning in the State of Florida, Florida Planning and Zoning Association (2010)
- Selected for inclusion in 2011 Florida Super Lawyers
- American Planning Association, Palmetto Elementary Complex Project of Merit (2011)
- Florida Planning and Zoning, Palmetto Elementary Complex Outstanding Public/Private Project (2011)
- Florida Trend, Legal Elite (2011)
- Paul S. Buchman Award for outstanding contributions to local government law from the City, County and Local Government Section,The Florida Bar (2004)
- Contribution to Promoting Professionalism and Ethics, The Florida Bar (2001)
- Outstanding Contributions to the Section, The Florida Bar, Local Government Law Section (1994)
- Outstanding Contributions in the Area of Legal Writing, Local Government Law Section, The Florida Bar (1992)
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Who’s Who in America
- Manatee County Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association. City, County
andLocal Government Law Section
- Chair, 1999 – 2000
- Chair-Elect, 1998 – 1999
- Secretary-Treasurer, 1997 – 1998
- Committee Co-Chair, Professionalism
andEthics, 2000 – 2008
- Executive Council, 1994 – present
- Co-chair, Joint Land Use
andEnvironment Seminar, 1992 – 1996
- Florida Bar Association, Environmental and Land Use Law Section, 1983 – present
- Florida Bar Association, Grievance Committee, Circuit 12B
- Chair, 1997 – 1998
- Member, 1995 – 1998
- Bradenton Area Economic Development Corporation
- Past Chair, 2015-2016
- Chair-Elect, 2014 – 2015
- Secretary, 2013 – 2014
- Executive Committee, 2012
- Florida Planning and Zoning Association
- State Director, 1985 – present
- State President, 1993 – 1994
President Elect, 1992 – 1993
- Vice President for Policy Affairs, 1991 – 1992
- Chair, 1991 Annual State Conference
- Master, Manatee American Inn of Court, 2014 – present
- Florida Planning and Zoning Association, Gulf Coast Chapter
- President, 1988 – 1989; 1991 – 1992
- Outstanding Chapter Award, 1989
- City of Bradenton Architectural Review Board
- Member, 1985 – 2000
- Vice Chairman, 1991 – 1997
- Manatee Chamber of Commerce
- Just for Girls Foundation
- Board of Directors, 2010 – 2012; 2013 – 2015
- Florida Railroad Experience, Inc.
- Director, 2012 – present
- Secretary, 2012
- Girls Club Foundation of Manatee County, Board Member, 2010 – present
- Habitat for Humanity, Finance Committee, 2010
- USF Brunch on the Bay Committee, 2005 – present
- Manatee County Library Foundation
- Director, 2002 – present
- Vice President, 2004 – 2006
- President, 2006 – 2008
- Golden Herald Student Awards Judge, 2009 – 2012
- Jessie P. Miller Elementary School Advisory Council
- Member, 1995 – 2001
- Chair, 1996 – 1998
- Manatee River Fair Association
- Associate Director, 1998 – 2000
- Director, 2001 – present
- The Great Outdoors Conservancy, Board Member, 2003 – 2006
- Gold Star Club
- Founding Member, 1999 – present
- Board of Directors, 2006 – present
- Manatee Players, Director 2001 – 2011
- Arts Manatee
- Advisory Council
- Member, 2006 – 2008
- Head Start, Policy Council Member, 2001 – 2003
- Faith United Methodist Church
- Founding Member; Trustee; Finance Committee; Teacher; Administrative Council Member; Youth Leader, 1982 – present
- Imagine Manatee, Steering Committee, 2003
- Realize Bradenton, Steering Committee, 2008 – 2009
- Manatee County Historical Commission
- Member, 2007 – present
- President, 2008 – 2010
- Bradenton Community Redevelopment Agency Public Art Committee
- Chair, 2011 – present
- Member, 2009 – present
- Take Stock in Children
- Board of Directors, 2015
- Florida State University – College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1983)
- University of Florida (B.S.B.A., Finance and Economics), 2001
Mark Barnebey has represented private clients in various capacities including the following:
- Obtained development entitlements for a natural gas power plant.
- Obtained approvals for international, national and local real estate companies and retailers.
- Work with County to obtain approval for an 8,000-seat multipurpose arena.
- Obtained DRI and large project entitlements.
He has represented numerous local governments, including the following:
- Served as chief land use counsel for Manatee County for over 13 years.
- Served as school board attorney and special land development counsel for the school board of Manatee County for 12 years.
- Has been City Attorney for Palmetto for over 5 years.
- Represented numerous special districts, intergovernmental agencies and community development districts along the West Coast as General Counsel or Special Counsel.
- Successfully defended special taxing district against multi-million dollar claims for violations of the Government in the Sunshine law and Public Records Act.
- Participated in the drafting of an award-winning county comprehensive plan.
- Assisted with The Accord, an intergovernmental agreement on growth and development, between six cities, a county and a school district.
- Negotiated the Inter-local Agreement between the City of Bradenton, the Bradenton Downtown Development Authority, and Manatee County regarding the purchase, construction, and tax increment financing of the Manatee County Administration Complex.
- Prepared Inter-local Agreement between Sarasota County and Manatee County for the development of a major bi-county thoroughfare – University Parkway.
- Represented the School District on construction contracts for a variety of education facility projects, including several multi-million dollar school facilities. Provided representation as to the development of the Palmetto Elementary School, the Boys and Girls Club, and Just for Girls Club on a shared campus with public and private entities and numerous land owners, including the National Guard. This project received statewide recognition from both the American Planning Association and the Florida Planning and Zoning Association.