Local Government Law
Economic Incentives Can Spur Redevelopment
by Mark P. Barnebey on September 8, 2014 at 1:52 pm
Economic incentives are available from local governments in various forms to help spur development and redevelopment throughout the Gulf Coast area. Such incentives have played key roles in a variety of projects including the extensive renovation of the historic Manatee River Hotel (now a Hampton Inn) in downtown Bradenton and the creation of the IT […]
Blalock Walters Reappointed as City Attorney for the City of Palmetto
by Blalock Walters on January 18, 2013 at 12:55 am
Blalock Walters, P.A. has been reappointed as City Attorney for the City of Palmetto. Mark Barnebey and Scott Rudacille, who are both Florida Bar Board Certified in City, County and Local Government Law, are the principal attorneys serving the City, having served in this capacity for the past four years. “It has been a pleasure […]
- School boards, conflict of interest laws, construction litigation, redistricting, referendum and elections
- Eminent domain, zoning and subdivision laws, environmental law, conservation easements and economic development planning and promotion
- General reassessment and assessment issues, employment law, workers’ compensation hearings & litigation
- Successfully defended a special taxing district against multi-million dollar claims for violations of the Government in the Sunshine law and Public Records Act.
- Participated in the drafting of an award-winning county comprehensive plan.
- Served as special counsel to local governments for review of Developments of Regional Impact and large project matters.
- The Accord, an intergovernmental agreement on growth and development, between six cities, a county and a school district.
- The Inter-local Agreement between the City of Bradenton, the Bradenton Downtown Development Authority, and Manatee County regarding the purchase, construction, and financing of the Manatee County Administration Complex.
- Successfully defended Bert Harris Act claims against government action.
- The Master School Board and County Joint Use Inter-local Agreement for the use of schools and parks, and several individual school joint use agreements.
- Inter-local Agreement between Sarasota County and Manatee County for the development of a major bi-county thoroughfare – University Parkway.
- The development of the Palmetto Elementary School, the Boys and Girls Club, and Just for Girls Club on a shared campus with public and private entities and numerous land owners, including the National Guard. This project received statewide recognition from both the American Planning Association and the Florida Planning and Zoning Association.
- Represented the School District on construction contracts for a variety of education facility projects, including several multi-million dollar school facilities.
- We have served as hearing officers, special magistrates and/or mediators in a variety of governmental issues, including disputes related to land use, contracts, personnel matters and Bert Harris Act claims.
Blalock Walters is uniquely qualified to serve the education industry. Our attorneys have extensive experience in representing governmental entities, including school boards. Our firm has over 20 attorneys with experience in areas of law that would be regularly utilized by the by educational institutions including a wide variety of local government issues such as budgeting, contracts, zoning and development, labor and employment, all phases of litigation, student discipline, student activity, Civil Rights, sunshine law, ethics law, special permits, and public records. Attorneys have assisted in school boards in areas related to land use, real estate and contracts. Blalock Walters also has experienced attorneys who can assist with real estate, environmental, and taxation issues.