In addition to federal tax laws, many clients are also faced with state taxes, such as corporate income taxes and documentary stamp taxes, and our attorneys assist our clients in connection with Florida’s state law tax system. Working together with our Estate Planning attorneys, we focus on creating estate plans that both satisfy our clients’ objectives and provide tax efficient planning for estate, gift, generation skipping and income taxes.
Outside of estate tax planning, personal individual and business tax planning is often overlooked, and our attorneys continually work with our clients to achieve the most efficient tax results throughout all aspects of their personal and business transactions.
An audit, either from the IRS or the Florida Department of Revenue, can be costly and stressful. We work closely with clients using a team approach in handling audits, offers in compromise and installment agreements to provide peace of mind to our individual and business clients through this process.
How we can help:
- Individual Income Tax Planning
- Business Tax Planning
- Estate Tax Planning
- Mergers and Acquisitions Tax Planning
- Tax Audit and Settlement Negotiations with the IRS or the Florida Department of Revenue
- Non-Profit Formation and Operations.
- Executive Order Defers Social Security Taxesby Bonita Wang on September 1, 2020 at 4:59 pm
Pursuant to President Trump’s Memorandum issued on August 8, 2020 and IRS Notice 2020-65 implemented on August 28, 2020, withholding and payment of the employee’s portion of Social Security taxes for the time period beginning on September 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020 is postponed if the employee’s wage is below a threshold amount. Specifically,
- SBA Liquidity Assistance for Businesses – In the Form of Forgivable Loans and Non-Forgivable Disaster Loansby Jenifer Schembri on March 27, 2020 at 7:26 pm
On March 27, 2020, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the COVID-19 stimulus bill, known as the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act (H.R. 748), which provides much needed assistance for small businesses.
Blalock Walters is uniquely qualified to serve the education industry. Our attorneys have extensive experience in representing governmental entities, including school boards. Our firm has over 20 attorneys with experience in areas of law that would be regularly utilized by the by educational institutions including a wide variety of local government issues such as budgeting, contracts, zoning and development, labor and employment, all phases of litigation, student discipline, student activity, Civil Rights, sunshine law, ethics law, special permits, and public records. Attorneys have assisted in school boards in areas related to land use, real estate and contracts. Blalock Walters also has experienced attorneys who can assist with real estate, environmental, and taxation issues.
The agriculture industry is one that requires a very specialized knowledge in a number of different areas: Taxation, Labor & Employment, Environmental, Construction Litigation, Land Use, Real Estate, Family Succession Planning and Estate Planning, and Corporate Farming. Blalock Walters recognizes the specialized services needed for agribusiness, farm producers, and packers and growers. We have many years of agribusiness experience and offer sophisticated legal services that address the unique needs of the industry.
- American Farm Bureau
- Florida Department of Agriculture
- Florida Farm Bureau
- Manatee County Farm Bureau
- The Gulf Citrus Growers Association
Our integrated law practice areas offer a complete range of legal services for the auto industry, including buying and selling auto dealerships, purchasing real estate and negotiating commercial leases, title insurance, estate and succession planning for family owned dealerships and litigation defense, including defense of lemon-law cases and employment lawsuits.
The tax attorneys at Blalock Walters provide corporate formation and tax and business strategies for dealing with changes in the automobile industry to help maximize your company’s tax and financial advantages.
We help business owners plan for the single most critically important event of their lives – the inevitable transition out of their businesses. Our 7-Step Exit Planning Process will help you identify your goals and create a strategic plan.
- Minimize taxes
- Reduce transaction risk
- Increase after-tax proceeds
- Ensure that you maintain control of your company during the transition
- Protect your loved ones
Don’t make the mistake of most business owners who have not done a great deal of succession planning. Leave your business in style, after you have attained all of your specific goals and objectives.
The equine industry includes many different business interests with unique legal needs. Equine law involves the law as it relates to all aspects of horses and horse-related activities. Our team at Blalock Walters understands the unique and specialized needs of the equine industry and those passionate about their horses, and is prepared to offer the specialized services, including tax, business services, litigation, employment, immigration, land use, real estate, business succession planning, and estate planning.
Generally speaking, our team at Blalock Walters is able to provide specialized services, addressing the unique equine needs of horse owners, businesses, professionals, associations and facilities with the following:
- Preparing, review, or negotiate equine-related contracts (such as purchase and sales agreements, leases, stallion service contracts, liability waivers/releases, facility use agreements, stallion management agreements, and boarding contracts)
- Establishing businesses, including corporations, partnerships, joint ventures, syndication, or limited liability companies
- Assist with tax planning and resolving tax disputes, including “hobby loss disputes” with the government
- Real estate purchases or transactions
- Handle or resolve zoning and land use disputes
- Litigation matters involving horse related matters
Non-profits and Foundations
Assisting private foundations and nonprofit organizations in our communities has been a focus of Blalock Walters from the beginning. As nonprofits have become more sophisticated and complex through the years, and subject to increasing regulation, our estate planning, corporate, tax law, real estate law and employment law groups have effectively provided guidance and counsel to help the nonprofit environment thrive.
We provides specialized legal services in the charitable foundation and non-profit area, including:
- Formation of non-profit organizations and foundations;
- Tax exemption applications;
- Prohibited transaction analysis;
- Reasonable compensation analysis;
- Analysis and planning of corporate transactions involving tax-exempt organizations;
- Corporate governance matters;
- Real estate purchases, leasing and construction;
- Employment matters; and
- Dissolution and liquidation of nonprofits.
With many years involved in the sports industry in our communities, we offer a wide range of legal services to professional athletes and sports-related organizations. Blalock Walters works with Major League Baseball players and organizations, as well as other professional sports industries, in the areas of real estate law, land use, litigation, construction law, estate planning, tax, immigration, labor and employment, contracts, and business operations. Additionally, we assist retired baseball players with their businesses, foundations, and tax and estate planning needs that are unique to the profession. Our knowledge of the industry allows us to keep our clients informed of the significant tax and legal issues that often arise for professional athletes and ensure that we provide the highest quality of service.