As Florida probate attorneys, we provide the advice, support and guidance in fulfilling our clients’ wishes and estate plans created for their loved ones. Although these times may be personally difficult for clients who have lost loved ones, we make a difference in providing certainty and support through this process. As counselors, we recognize preserving wealth for families and their loved ones is an important priority. We focus on the needs of our clients and their loved ones in designing estate plans to provide both protection and flexibility, while fulfilling clients’ estate planning wishes.
The attorneys and staff in Blalock Walters’ Probate and Trust Administration group regularly assists out-of-state clients whose deceased loved ones owned interests in Florida real estate. In many cases, we are able to counsel such clients relative to Florida properties situated in counties other than Manatee and Sarasota. To enhance the efficiency of these Ancillary probate proceedings, our team often works in close collaboration with the family’s out-of-state attorney to ensure a smooth transition of the Florida property title per the deceased family member’s final wishes.
Five Practical Things I’ve Learned About Social Security and Medicare
by Dana Gentry on May 29, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Five Practical Things I’ve Learned About Social Security and Medicare: Set up an online account with Social Security and get an annual statement of your future benefits each year as soon as you start earning any income. A close friend of mine years ago had a tax return preparer transpose numbers in his social security […]
Your Estate Plan: Small Oversights That Can Turn Into Big Headaches
by Anthony Bartirome on February 1, 2017 at 5:27 pm
Part of what we do at Blalock Walters is assist surviving family members with administrative matters after the death of a loved one. It’s at that point in time when the effectiveness of the decedent’s estate plan is tested. So, to help our clients develop estate plans that will actually operate as efficiently as they […]
- Blalock Walters’ Estate Planning Group planned, drafted and assisted in implementing an IRA conduit trust with separate shares for a client who wished to extend the financial benefits and tax advantages of postponing outright lump sum distributions upon death to designated individual heirs.
- Blalock Walters’ Estate Administration Group has drafted and assisted clients in implementing post mortem disclaimers to accomplish transfers of assets to clients’ loved ones while minimizing estate tax consequences for clients’ families.
- Blalock Walters’ Estate Planning Group planned and implemented the assets of a $25MM estate to allow the client to provide for his family while fulfilling his commitment to the community through charitable giving.
- Blalock Walters’ Estate Administration Group created an additional $500,000 charitable gift to the local community foundation through creative post-death tax planning.
The agriculture industry is one that requires a very specialized knowledge in a number of different areas: Taxation, Labor & Employment, Environmental, Construction Litigation, Land Use, Real Estate, Family Succession Planning and Estate Planning, and Corporate Farming. Blalock Walters recognizes the specialized services needed for agribusiness, farm producers, and packers and growers. We have many years of agribusiness experience and offer sophisticated legal services that address the unique needs of the industry.
- American Farm Bureau
- Florida Department of Agriculture
- Florida Farm Bureau
- Manatee County Farm Bureau
- The Gulf Citrus Growers Association
Our integrated law practice areas offer a complete range of legal services for the auto industry, including buying and selling auto dealerships, purchasing real estate and negotiating commercial leases, title insurance, estate and succession planning for family owned dealerships and litigation defense, including defense of lemon-law cases and employment lawsuits.
The tax attorneys at Blalock Walters provide corporate formation and tax and business strategies for dealing with changes in the automobile industry to help maximize your company’s tax and financial advantages.
We help business owners plan for the single most critically important event of their lives – the inevitable transition out of their businesses. Our 7-Step Exit Planning Process will help you identify your goals and create a strategic plan.
- Minimize taxes
- Reduce transaction risk
- Increase after-tax proceeds
- Ensure that you maintain control of your company during the transition
- Protect your loved ones
Don’t make the mistake of most business owners who have not done a great deal of succession planning. Leave your business in style, after you have attained all of your specific goals and objectives.
The equine industry includes many different business interests with unique legal needs. Equine law involves the law as it relates to all aspects of horses and horse-related activities. Our team at Blalock Walters understands the unique and specialized needs of the equine industry and those passionate about their horses, and is prepared to offer the specialized services, including tax, business services, litigation, employment, immigration, land use, real estate, business succession planning, and estate planning.
Generally speaking, our team at Blalock Walters is able to provide specialized services, addressing the unique equine needs of horse owners, businesses, professionals, associations and facilities with the following:
- Preparing, review, or negotiate equine-related contracts (such as purchase and sales agreements, leases, stallion service contracts, liability waivers/releases, facility use agreements, stallion management agreements, and boarding contracts)
- Establishing businesses, including corporations, partnerships, joint ventures, syndication, or limited liability companies
- Assist with tax planning and resolving tax disputes, including “hobby loss disputes” with the government
- Real estate purchases or transactions
- Handle or resolve zoning and land use disputes
- Litigation matters involving horse related matters
Non-profits and Foundations
Assisting private foundations and nonprofit organizations in our communities has been a focus of Blalock Walters from the beginning. As nonprofits have become more sophisticated and complex through the years, and subject to increasing regulation, our estate planning, corporate, tax law, real estate law and employment law groups have effectively provided guidance and counsel to help the nonprofit environment thrive.
We provides specialized legal services in the charitable foundation and non-profit area, including:
- Formation of non-profit organizations and foundations;
- Tax exemption applications;
- Prohibited transaction analysis;
- Reasonable compensation analysis;
- Analysis and planning of corporate transactions involving tax-exempt organizations;
- Corporate governance matters;
- Real estate purchases, leasing and construction;
- Employment matters; and
- Dissolution and liquidation of nonprofits.
With many years involved in the sports industry in our communities, we offer a wide range of legal services to professional athletes and sports-related organizations. Blalock Walters works with Major League Baseball players and organizations, as well as other professional sports industries, in the areas of real estate law, land use, litigation, construction law, estate planning, tax, immigration, labor and employment, contracts, and business operations. Additionally, we assist retired baseball players with their businesses, foundations, and tax and estate planning needs that are unique to the profession. Our knowledge of the industry allows us to keep our clients informed of the significant tax and legal issues that often arise for professional athletes and ensure that we provide the highest quality of service.